The UGLE Universities Scheme was established in London at the beginning of 2005 and is presided over by the Assistant Grand Master, R.W.Bro. Sir David Wootton. The Objective of the scheme is “to establish and/or enhance arrangements and opportunities for undergraduates and other university members to join and enjoy Freemasonry”.
There are three approved University Scheme Lodges within this Province:
- Southampton Unversity Lodge No.7022 (Southampton University)
- Domus Dei Lodge No.5151 (Portsmouth University)
- William of Wykeham Lodge No.1883 (Winchester University)
Receptor Lodges are expected to welcome University graduates, who move into the local area to work, as joining members. Their purpose is to facilitate the retention of graduate Brethren and enable a smooth transition to Masonic life post-university. Although a Receptor Lodge will not normally initiate university candidates, it will be expected to be pro-acrtive and otherwise fully involved in the scheme.
Every Lodge seeking to participate in the Universities Scheme must satisfy the following criteria:
- that is supports the objectives of the scheme;
- that it agrees in open Lodge to apply to join;
- that it applies for and receives approval from the Provincial Grand Master;
- that it applies for and receives approval from the Scheme President;
- that it agrees to its participation being included in the UGLE website and other UGLE register, published or otherwise, of scheme participants;
- that it is represented at the Scheme’s conferences or meetings, including those of the Province;
- that it provides to the Scheme Chairman any statistics or other information requested;
- that is agrees to pass on concessions on dues to Grand Lodge and the Grand Charity to the Masons whom those concessions relate (ie candidates between 18 and 25 years of age).
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Lodges requiring further information or wishing to participate in the scheme should, in the first instance, contact the Chairman of the Province’s University Committee, W.Bro. D. J. Gosney, PAGDC, email email@example.com
General information about the UGLE Universities Scheme can be found on the UGLE website, which also contains links to the websites of all approved University Scheme Lodges.